I got an email from somebody a couple of weeks ago, telling me I should consider asking you guys for potential names for the game. I should have done it weeks ago, but today, I’m announcing that I’m starting a mini-competition for my game’s name. The winning entry gets their name in a “Special Thanks” section of the (yet-to-be-made) credits.
It’s not a real impressive prize, honestly, but there’s not much more that I can offer. I was considering that same reward for anyone who has provided any feedback at all along the way anyway. And besides, the time frame is going to be so short that it isn’t likely to be much of a competition anyway. (I don’t honestly expect very many entries.)
So here’s the rules:
- Submit names either through the comments on this post or by email.
- To flesh out a legal point (boring, but probably important to state) by submitting a name, you agree to allow me to use the name for my game and potentially make money on this game using the name you submitted, if it is chosen as the winner. In other words, if you have a killer name idea that you want to use for yourself in the future, keep it to yourself. You won’t hurt my feelings.
- You can submit as many names as you want. There’s no limit, so throw them all out there.
- The deadline is Saturday morning, my time. That gives you about a day and a half. I’m in Utah, USA (UTC-06) if the time zones make that much of a difference. When I wake up, I’ll collect all of the names that I’ve received, and if it’s more than one, I’ll make a blog post listing them all for feedback.
- Once posted, for the next 24 hours, people can weigh in on what they like and what they don’t like (in nice ways–mean comments will be deleted). Vote for your favorites, comment on the pros and cons of various names, etc.
- At the end of the 24 hours, I’ll make a decision and pick one. The winner will be based on my choice alone, so even if 10 people voted unanimously for another, I still make the final call. (But if 10 people vote unanimously for a specific one, I’d probably be an idiot to ignore it.)
The last point I want to state here is that even if no one else submits a name (a fairly high possibility) I’ve got one that’s been in the back of my mind since about Day 8, which I’ll add to the list on Saturday as well. So (1) nothing to worry about if no one submits anything, and (2) you’ve already got some competition!