100 Experience Points
An Adventure in Indie Game Development

Week 0 Retrospective

I’m now done with Week 0. My little weekend experiment. It’s probably time for a little bit of a retrospective….

What Went Right

I have a working little space RTS game! Would anybody buy it? Heck no. But I have a working prototype. It doesn’t prototype everything I had hoped to prototype this weekend, but it’s still there.

Also, I don’t feel exhausted from spending all of my weekend working. I got a lot done, but I don’t feel like this is an unsustainable pace. That’s a big deal, because I’m now ready to tackle Week #1.

I’m very happy with the source control so far. That piece is working really well too.

What Went Wrong

I didn’t get as much done as I had hoped, but then, it was just a hope. I had no real clear idea about how much I’d actually be able to cover, so what I had hoped to accomplish was a very aggressive stab in the dark.

I’m not terribly happy with the code quality and design in some parts. I don’t feel like I had all that great of a design plan. I just jumped in coding to get a prototype up and running. To be fair, it was a prototype, and the code quality matters less. But only if it gets cleaned up later. And by later, I mean now. If I’m going to keep building off of this code, I need to clean it up and make it look good.

What Will Change for Next Week

I’ve got a Definition of Done. (More another time.) I need to stick to it. That will help with the code quality.

Also, I need to get my Scrum boards better organized. That will come with the territory, as I do a little backlog grooming and sprint planning meeting tonight.