Sprint 5 Review
Here it is, a new release of the game!
It’s interesting… when I look at it and compare it to what was there before, it seems like I’ve barely made a difference. But it’s time for a new release anyway, so that people can give feedback.
Like usual, this requires having XNA installed on your computer.
I should mention that there’s a lot of bugs in this. Or rather, not bugs, per se, just UI problems that don’t work quite like I’d hope.
I’d love any kind of feedback at all about this game in it’s current form, so whatever strikes you, good or bad, please send it my way. You can do so by either adding a comment on this post, or by emailing me directly: mailto:email@example.com.
Some things that I’d love some feedback on:
- What is your favorite part, and your least favorite part? (Think hard. There’s probably something in both categories.)
- Loading time. I’m curious what the loading time is like for people in general. In debug mode, it takes forever to load. In release mode it seems a bit faster, but I’m still worried about it, especially since there’s going to be a lot more content in use later on.
- I know the controls in the battle screen are kind of funky. Try things out until it works. Just remember that shooting at something and moving something are independent of each other right now. In other words, you’ll need to move your ship to within attacking range, then tell it to attack.
- Along the lines of what I just said about bad controls, please tell me what your natural instinct was for doing things. I know they’re bad, but I’m not sure yet what the right solution is. (Things like, what button did you try to use first, to rotate the camera, or to attack a ship, or move a ship, etc.)
- Tell me if you won the battle. (Just for the fun of it.)
- I’d love to hear feedback about the rate that ships are taking damage. I think in a “real” battle, there will be a lot more going on, but I’m wondering if it takes too long, in your opinion.
- I’m also curious about differences in the way the UI works in the shipyard, vs. what you had initially expected it to do. If you downloaded the version from a couple of weeks ago, you may be a bit biased one way or another, but I’m still interested. Yes, I’m basically getting you to do some remote usability testing for me 😀
- Am I going in the right direction?
- Anything else that you want to say, good or bad. I promise not to hold it against you if you call my ugly baby ugly.
Also, if you haven’t looked at my mockups from Friday, you should go take a look.